Saturday, March 14, 2009

1965 Glastron V-160



Was again browsing CL's and came across this Classic 1965 Glastron V-160! At the time I really didn't know anything about this boat other than it had a very cool looking interior (all molded seats and console).
Decided that I'd call the guy and take a look see to see if I wanted to buy it. He was asking 400$ for it. It was located about an hour from my house and really had hoped it'd be worth the drive.
When I got down to where it was sitting was so disappointed as to it's condition.... The floors were rotted out, the prop was damaged, he didn't know if the motor would run (which was orginal to the boat) and really was in bad shape so declined on buying it.
When I got home I did a little research on it and found out that it might be a gold mine just sitting there....
This is what I found out:
It was only made for one year, 1965.
It was the only year that Glastron made the custom console that went from the bottom of the seat to the top of the dashboard (see pics).
It had the orginal Merc 1100 110hp outboard on it.
That if you could find 10 of them still on the water you'd be very lucky.
So after finding all that out decided to email him again and atleast make an offer on it. For 100$ cash would haul it off. Surprisingly enough he emailed me back and said come pick it up!
That in itself was pretty scary... Thought the motor was going to come off just from all the bouncing on the road but did make it home.
First thing I had to do is find out about the motor and if it would run. Took it to a friends shop and left it..... The next day he called me and I was thinking the worst.... It cranked almost first try!!!!!:)
Was so pleased and that's where I'm at. I've begun to strip it and take on the task of restoring it.
I'll let you know how I progress.
The items that I'm looking at are:
Replacing the floor and Transom first off.
Keep Checking back as I'm sure I'll have more work done.

4 comments:

  1. sorry to dissapoint but the glastron boat was made in three different years with fiberglass molded seats and fiberglass dash console and sorry to inform the boat u have is not a 1965

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about above comment it is a 1965 i believe it is a thunderjet model but they did make the style custom seats and dash for 3 different years i have the jet flite v143 1965 same setup up cool boats though check out classic glastron owners ass website alot info there for parts and things

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same boat !!!paid 150$ 75 hp, 1964 evinrude electrashift came with it,,have already rebuilt the floor im now in prosses of new gelcoat,,,i love this boat!!!!!! And so does every person who looks at it,,,cant wait to put it in the water next summer ,,i hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this boat as well and I love how it moves on the water.

    ReplyDelete